Do you think about starting your own company? Then you should think carefully about the elementary skills you need to do so. What are the eight elementary skills every entrepreneur needs? Thomas H. Byers et. al. compiled the following list in his book on “Technology Ventures – From Idea to Enterprise”:
- Entrepreneurs initiate and operate a purposeful enterprise.
- Entrepreneurs operate within the context and industrial environment at the time of initiation.
- Entrepreneurs identify and screen timely opportunities.
- Entrepreneurs accumulate and manage knowledge and technology.
- Entrepreneurs mobilize resources (financial, physical, and human).
- Entrepreneurs assess and mitigate uncertainty and risk associated within the initiation of the enterprise.
- Entrepreneurs provide an innovative contribution or at least a contribution that encompasses novelty or originality.
- Entrepreneurs enable and encourage a collaborative team of people who have the capabilities and knowledge necessary for success.
I encourage everyone to have a look at this great textbook. It contains a lot of useful information on starting your own enterprise.