Today was the kick-off meeting of NOSQL Summer here in Graz, Austria.
A NOSQL Summer is a network of local reading groups, that will decipher & discuss NOSQL-related articles, from late June to early September 2010. Each group sets its own meeting pace (usually once a week or once every two weeks) and select which papers are up for discussion.
At every cycle, members read the selected paper at home and then meet up for an hour or so to discuss, debate and answer their own questions.
The paper then gets annotated and is published again on the NOSQL Summer website.
Four of our in the meantime already 12 local swimmers decided to join the first meeting and dived into interesting topics regarding NOSQL and distributed computing with fellow geeks. We were reading and discussing the article called “On Designing and Deploying Internet-Scale Services” (PDF) written by James Hamilton. Our discussion was first driven this article but soon also covered other topics:
- Cloud computing and setups
- Privacy issues regarding cloud storage
- Social networks and privacy concerns
- Complexity in hardware setups regarding cloud services
- Hadoop and HBASE
- Philosophical discussions on how current and past society deals with privacy specially in cloud contexts
There were a lot of different opinions and views on using internet-services and the cloud for storing and processing one’s own data. Do you prefer to keep your data in a cloud or do you prefer to host all of your data by your own? We did not find one common answer to these questions and I guess you either won’t find one. It was an interesting meeting with friends and I am already looking forward to the next one.
The next NOSQL Summer Meeting will be announced through the NOSQL Summer Website but I can already give you the date. 🙂 It will take place on the 4th of August 2010, hosted at the campus of Graz University of Technology again.
If you are interested in NOSQL or distributed computing and distributed storage then just subscribe to the NOSQL Summer Group of Graz and we will keep you informed on the next paper to read and on the next interesting dates.
Articles you may find interesting too
- Paper: On Designing and Deploying Internet-Scale Services (highscalability.com)
- Cassandra: Predicting the Future of NoSQL (readwriteweb.com)
- Structure 2010: The Future of SQL in the Cloud (gigaom.com)
- Weekly Wrap-up: Old Spice Videos, TED Talks for Startups, the New Digg, And More… (readwriteweb.com)
- NoSQL, Heroku, and You (heroku.com)
- Disruptive Cloud Computing Startups At Under The Radar – NoSQL – Aspirin, Vicodin, and Vitamin (cloudave.com)
- NoSQL Database CouchDB Turns 1.0 (readwriteweb.com)